Tuesday, July 1, 2008

faith in humanity, somewhat restored

so, today, i've been facing some internal struggles with my faith in humanity, the purpose of it all, and everything that comes with that line of thinking. there has been bad news locally and even closer to home that have had me wallowing in a pool of concern for the state of humanity and even children that husband and i would bring into the mix.

knowing that the world isn't entirely full of rapists and murders, i tried to force feed myself heaping spoonfuls of light news stories: new affordable laptops being developed, Wal-Mart being forced to pay Minneosta employees for repeated labor law abuses, high school kids enthusiastic about the possibility of donating blood...these are all somewhat uplifting, or potentially distractable news articles, but they weren't helping.

what did help is reading one of my favorite blogs, Boing Boing, which has a recent post called "Where the Hell is Matt: a silly dance in 42 countries that will make you grin like a fool".

the post/video isn't groundbreaking, but it gives me that sense that the world is a much smaller, cozier place than it usually seems. all of our neighbors, whether they're three apartments below us or three thousand miles away, enjoy watching a silly dance and joining in sometimes. the smiles of so many different people of different cultures and languages really forced me to smile and all thanks to 42 countries and probably over a thousand people I'll never meet.


Where the Hell is Matt? (2008) from Matthew Harding on Vimeo.

1 comment:

Ann T. said...

I saw this guy on the Today show awhile ago. I love the one in Papua New Guinea.