Tuesday, July 1, 2008

an email forwarded to me at work (from a pioneer press blog)

"In this economy, everyone wants a deal.

Parasole, the company behind multiple restaurants including the swanky Manny’s Steakhouse in Minneapolis, is no exception. Below is an excerpt from an e-mail that was forwarded to me. It contained a letter sent by Parasole to the Villager community newspaper regarding advertising the company's new Salut on Grand Avenue in St. Paul.

I’m also including the Villager’s response. Publisher Michael Mischke says he was so taken aback by the Parasole’s chutzpah, it took him three days to respond. And then they didn’t get the irony.

“Apparently it went over the rep’s head,” says Mischke, when I called to confirm that the e-mail exchange was for real.

Excerpt from Parasole's e-mail to the Villager community newspaper: We appreciate recognition as a 1st time advertiser in the publication (e.g. I'll commit to a 1/9 page advertisement however we'd like it at the 1/18 page rate). In return for the pricing Salut/Parasole will make a long term commitment e.g. (one advertisement per month for a 24 month period) for this price. We also would like a guarantee of spot color included with that pricing. We need your help on determining which is the most well read issue of the month. We also want a guarantee that we'll always be a right hand read above the fold preferably again with your help on selecting the most desirable location (we don't want to be grouped with other restaurants). Do you have dining section in the publication? Or I'd like to be placed opposite a well read column in the paper for example. I believe the addition of a Parasole restaurant will bring other restaurant advertisers to the publication. Would you send a comp copy to us also.

Villager publisher Michael Mischke’s response: I appreciate recognition as a first-time diner at Salut (e.g., I'll commit to eating dinner, however, I'd like it at half price). In return for that menu pricing, I'll make a long-term commitment (e.g.,one dinner a month for 24 months) for that price, whether or not your menu prices increase during that period. I'd also like dessert included with that pricing. I also want a guarantee that I'll be seated at a window, as far from the kitchen as possible. (And I don't want to have to be seated next to any unattractive or overly loud people.) I believe the addition of a Villager publisher will bring other diners to your restaurant. Would you send a comp dinner mint to me monthly as well? "

No comments: